About Rob Lanphier
(updated March 2022) - Electoral theory wonk, activist, software developer, and engineering management nerd.
Things that keep me busy, and things that used to keep me busy:
- 2022 — Oh, stuff and things. After leaving Internet Archive in 2019, I thought "I should volunteer for this, and this, and I can't say 'no' to THIS!". Then, the pandemic struck, so all of my volunteering changed. But I finally figured out that there's enough to do around the house that I don't need to volunteer for everything. The really curious among you all can look around at californiaapproves.wordpress.com to see a bit of what I'm volunteering for, but generally, I'm trying to cut way back on my volunteer duties.
- 2020 and 2021 — Served a two-year term on the board of Miraheze, a small UK-based non-profit hosting MediaWiki. See my December 2019 blogpost "Why donate to a non-profit with a hard-to-pronounce name?" for what led me to Miraheze. I spent a fair amount of time helping get electowiki.org back into respectable shape, and reviving other wiki-centric dev projects I've had over the years. I also started couple Miraheze-based wikis (myndmess.miraheze.org and robla.miraheze.org) before realizing that taking care of electowiki.org was enough of a chore. It's still fun having free wikis though (go start your own!)
- 2019 — served as Director for Core Infrastructure at Internet Archive, managing both the operations team and engineers that wrote and maintained the core storage software. See my late 2019 posting for more about that.
- 2016-2018 - spent some time as a stay-at-home dad and political activist, volunteering with groups like Indivisible SF, Swing Left, and Center for Election Science, while Margaret held the day job.
- 2010-2016 - Managing a big team at Wikimedia Foundation, the organization responsible for hosting Wikipedia.
- 2006-2009 - Launching the open source client for Linden Lab (makers of Second Life)
- 1996-2005 - All sorts of things at RealNetworks, e.g. launching Helix, RTSP and SMIL
- 1993-1995 - Stuff at Conjungi, Asymetrix, other things here and there
Check out my blog
or my LinkedIn profile
for the latest.